Sunday, January 19, 2014

Here's a poem of mine in "Split Rock Review"


Split Rock Review is an on-line magazine out of Duluth. The editors recently published this poem of mine, whose title roughly translates from the Latin as "A Defense of His Life." Hope you like it. See it in the magazine at  http://www.splitrockreview.org/aplogiaprovitasua.


APOLOGIA PRO VITA SUA

When I’m dead and scattered,
say I didn’t video class reunions,
hoard photos or hang on
to drafts of all my poems. Say 
I was in the present as the present fell 
away from itself. I found 
a good used Stanley plane today,
bought groceries . . .  And already
memory’s down to the etceteras,
so quick the present, like a comet
that sheds its disappearing tail,

like ginkgoes that all at once
go soft at the stems, and the leaves
separate and blanket the ground.
Say I was a good composter,
that I raked that yellow shining
into armfuls for the black bin
in whose moist, wormy dirt
the future lies, and dropped it in.





No comments:

Post a Comment