Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Three poems accepted at 'Prick of the Spindle'

Prick of the Spindle is a Pensacola-based online quarterly that publishes poetry, fiction, non-fiction, drama and art that take both experimental and traditional approaches. The magazine describes its goal as being "well-rounded, with an acknowledgement to the works of literary history." (In case you've forgotten, as I had, the title on the masthead comes from the tale of Sleeping Beauty, who pricks her finger on a spindle and falls into a 100-year sleep until awakened by a prince). The journal is wide-ranging and ambitious. I'm happy as can be that three of my poems -- "Art," "A Young Man Sees His First Picasso," and "All Nighter on the Snow Plow" -- will appear in the December issue. The first is a response to reading Gregory Curtis' book The Cave Painters; the second, one of my few attempts at an ekphrastic poem -- a poem about a work of art. The third started out as a short story and got out of hand until I condensed it to 12 lines. Seems like I'm on a roll here.

No comments:

Post a Comment